The church / the Parish
ST. FRANCIS of ASSISI
St Francis church was built circa 1934 to provide for the catholic community of the expanding areas of the west of Linthorpe, Acklam and Whinney Banks, The parish area originally covered the whole of Acklam, through Brookfield and up to Hemlington. St Clare's and the "new" Cathedral stand in that part of the original parish area which for most of the 30's, 40's and 50's was mainly arable area. With the residential development of Acklam (South) and Brookfield, in 1967 St. Clare's church was built and established as a separate parish to ease the tremendous congregation pressure that was being felt at St. Francis (then with a Parish Priest assisted by two curates celebrating at least 4 Masses every Sunday plus Masses at Hemlington hospital).
St. Francis of Assisi, Acklam, Middlesbrough.
Formally the extended parish is called St. Francis Parish, with St Clare's church being a 'chapel of ease'. But, reality of the local situation is that it is referred to as "St. Francis' & St. Clare's".
St Francis of Assisi, Acklam is, of course, a member of the diocese of Middlesbrough : The Roman Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough consists of the boroughs of Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees (south of the river), the cities of Kingston upon Hull and York, East Yorkshire and most of North Yorkshire. For further information on the diocese visit:
There are a variety of parish support, evangelical and social activity groups within the parish - see web page Parish Information > Parish Activities - for details.
Its geographic area includes a number of residential/nursing homes.
An independent but mutually supporting social club, St Francis Social Club, is established with its own premises at the rear of the church presbytery.
All of these things result in an active, parishioner participating parish.